Great video about masculinity, dating advice, and the virtue of kindness

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

The point of Superman is he's an ideal. That is the case for a lot of DC heroes. Heroes you look up to, as opposed to relate to. Where many modern writers fail (including in the movies) is by failing to convey this in a way that makes it obvious to the audience that was the intent. In the Snyder movies Superman is too broody for a lot of it, then because he dies he's gone for most of them. He's excellent at the end of the Snyder Cut but still only barely features. Superman being a total paragon often makes him boring to audiences used to the moral conflicts of characters like Batman or the street level escapades of Spiderman, but I do think with a good writer it could be done.

Also the best Marvel movie is by far Spiderman 2.

2. If that's the case, that's probably why I don't really like him. I find that kind of boring.

3. Kim Wexler

Kim Wexler Fapstronaut

It's very similar to classic Star Trek in that regard. The characters in TOS and TNG can come across as borderline inhuman because they embody a completely set of ideals to what audiences are used to. The original intent in TNG was to have no conflicts between the main cast, the idea being humanity had progressed to a point where it wouldn't happen. This very quickly changed because it made for boring TV, but I think they went way, way too far with it in the end. Nowadays Trek is just the same schlock you see everywhere.