What to do with life?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Peppy, Jul 30, 2023.

1. Peppy

Peppy Fapstronaut

Hey everyone!
    To beat the pmo addiction I've decided to do a dopamin detox
    Currently 3 and a half day in.
    No pmo
    No music
    No youtube
    No watching films or series
    No video games
    Nearly no social media
    No mindless scrolling
    And then I realized I only go to work, train daily in the gym, do 1 times per week a martial art,meditate a little, buy food, eat and sleep. No wonder why I'm depressed. I have nothing to live for no purpose and because of that I distract myself with pleasure.
    I would describe me as a shy introvert as long as I can remember and never had really something going for me.

So now I really find something that get me excited everyday so that I can't wait to be awake and go after it but I have no idea.
    Do someone have an idea how to find that purpose in life or just things to do that will benefit my life?
    What is it for you?

Ghost101 likes this.
  2. resilient bastard

resilient bastard Fapstronaut

Hello my friend,

i think it is a good idea to reduce dopamin intake. You've gained a lot of time that you can put to good use. I think you should engage in social activities and meet new people instead of dopamin abuse.

But i don't know what kind of opportunities you have. Maybe you try new sports in a club or association where it is easy to get in contact with people and make new friends.
    Furthermore you can organize a meeting in a pub or something else with your colleagues at martial arts club establishing a group to get together often

second idea: practice communication with women. Step 1 would be ONLY FLIRTING. Step 2 would be cold approach. First stick to step 1. It means you go to social events and try to flirt with women due to eye contact. Wait for her signals. If you feel well, go to her and approach her. But not a must
    Man, you are a sporty trained guy, so go for it man

I_always_try_again likes this.
  3. Peppy

Peppy Fapstronaut

Thanks for your answer!

Oh socializing... Not one of my strengths but I guess you're right. Maybe I should start in the gym.

Your second idea might be even more difficult for me. To be real I resived some signals from girls in the gym but I was always to shy to speak to them. Some of them might be even dissapointed that I didn't approach them.
    It's time to get brave or nothing will ever change.

Thanks for your advise!

4. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

What if our purpose in life is to find out what our purpose in life is?

Peppy likes this.
  5. There are two things that one must do during the course of his/her life:
    1. Act in accordance with his/her conscience
    2. Make the most of what is given to him/her while being mindful of a higher purpose
    Of course, this is broad and vague. Everyone has been dealt a different hand, and no two lives are the same.

Saul3, Icewarrior and Peppy like this.
  6. Racco

Racco Fapstronaut

@Peppy life is a process and there is no purpose, even if there is one, no one knows about. Man finding life purpose & meaning because he misaligned with the life flow. Not because of lack of purpose, but your own expectations not met so you're distracting yourself to escape the pain & self pity.

Take out the expectations from the head then living becomes joyous.

You're perfectly alright, the pain & struggle you're going through is part of purging process. Resist to purge may lead to suffering.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
    Icewarrior and Peppy like this.
  7. I just did something similar to what you did (although I still listened to music), and I found that I'm really depressed too. It didn't help that I got screwed over by my boxing gym and used by someone that I thought was my friend.

I'm used to feeling depressed, but these days I just read books to distract myself. By September, I'll be back in school and I'll have my assignments to keep me busy. Maybe I'm wrong to deal with this with distractions, but I can't think of anything else to solve the issue.

I wish you all the best.

Peppy likes this.
  8. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

What is life's purpose, what to do with life? One of the oldest questions for mankind and there are more answers to that question than there are people on earth, but no one answer is correct for anyone but yourself.

Finding your life's purpose is a journey, so take the first step. I can only tell you what I think my purpose is and that has changed many times through my lifetime.

I'll keep it simple and say that my general purpose now and in the past is to build meaningful friendships, find a women and start a family, spend as much time as possible with family and friends, support those close to me emotionally, support my family financially, have a job that gives me enough money to live comfortably, and do everything needed to live happy life.

My main goals (or purpose) now are:
    • Find a job that is fulfilling, hopefully a job in the environmental industry in order to help fix climate change.
    • Secure my finances so I can retire without worrying about money.
    • Continue to find new friends and spend more time with my existing friends and family.
    • Live a healthy life. Living a healthy, clean life is a work in process and there are a lot of areas that need continuous improvement.
    • Stay happy and bring joy to others.
    Good luck, you will find things that are important to you. Those things will become your purpose.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    Peppy likes this.
  9. Ghost101

Ghost101 Fapstronaut

I'm 44 and have recently discovered that my purpose in life is always has been to be alone in this world :(

10. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Only if that is what you want. It's rarely too late to change anything.

11. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

Hello! I'm glad to read that you're putting effort into improving your existence, and I wish you all the best.

I'm feeling a bit down too... but it wasn't always like this, quite the opposite! Two or three years ago, I put 100% of myself into what you're also doing, a 'dopamine detox.' Keep in mind that the positive effects aren't immediate; it takes time. I believe that for now, you need to give your all to eliminate the toxic habits from your life, all the ones you've listed. Keep resisting, resist some more, and keep resisting. Once you've gained momentum, it will become easier, and that's when life will start flowing, and you'll find what you enjoy doing.

That's how I see it, or at least that's how I experienced it during that period, which, by the way, was one of the best periods of my life. Now, on the other hand, I'm here struggling to reach two weeks of NOFAP, struggling to go for a 5km run outside, or struggling to do two push-ups on the floor.
    Let's give our all to do the right thing, and things will get better!