Shortage of employees

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by recon117, Dec 3, 2023.

1. recon117

recon117 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

This topic interests me for quite some time. It is all over the news at least here in Switzerland.

The problem explained: More and more companies are struggling with following topics:
    • Employee retention: The ability to keep the employees
    • Open vacancies: Nobody seems to apply for job openings or requirements are set to high
    • Demographic: In the next few years alot of previous generation are going into retirement. Actual and most likely future generations are far less in numbers
    What is your opinion regarding shortage of employees? Do you experience shortage of employees at your current job?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
  2. I'm not 100% quite sure. My employer seems to be constantly hiring without any issues (although, I haven't look to see how many positions they have open at the moment).

That one, I might agree to: requirements are set too high. When I go looking for a job at my level, there seems to be more and more employers wanting a 4-year degree with some experience. I, often, get overlooked because I only have a 2-year degree with more then enough professional experience to make up for it.

3. recon117

recon117 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The company I work for has currently +200 positions open:eek:
    Great to hear but does your employer keep the people? Or is hire and fire a thing?

Very typical! Alot of companies prefer a degree over experience. In the long-term they will need any people with professional experience doesn't matter how many years

4. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

I work in a job that has a very strong manpower shortage.

It feels like a winter that may never end. Constant shortages mean more work. More work means more burnout. More burnout means less retention. Less retention means more work. Thus the cycle repeats. Everyone has to pull their weight with some having to pull more than others.

We get paid a salary that is impossible for an individual to sustain themselves and any opportunity for overtime does not contribute to one's pension.

recon117 likes this.
  5. Semtex

Semtex Fapstronaut

That seems bizarre. There's a shortage yet they don't raise wages?

Maybe it's time to look for something else

recon117 likes this.
  6. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

I have been, yes.

There's a new contract negotiation this year but I doubt we'll be on par with everyone else. Unfortunately I live in the most taxed state in the country so any raise will be stolen from me. I'm looking out of state.

recon117 likes this.
  7. I hope so... They did have two rounds of lay-offs for the past year. I'm still waiting for the third round of lay-offs with my name on it.

8. Geez... I work salary as well; I get how difficult it is in not getting overtime pay; sadly, it must turns into time off.

EmperorLaStrang likes this.
  9. Leanmaxxing

Leanmaxxing Fapstronaut

The internet made everyone selective. Both the employers and job seekers are pickier than ever. Employers want the most skilled with the least pay out of an employee. And employee typically wants a good wage with work life balance. But of course, the market is more in favor of the employer.

There is no labor shortage. If that’s the case, employers would actually hire people and train them and pay them the market rate. Companies are just being cheap and can afford to be understaffed. In contrast, a typical working class person cannot afford not having a steady check due to inflating cost of living. People have to settle with a job eventually to pay the bills. Therefore, the employer wins and the employee loses.

10. recon117

recon117 Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Depends very much on the country though but in general yes.
    Luckily in Switzerland the market is shifting towards job seekers/employees some SME and especially Hospitals are struggling. Since the pandemic entire departments just quit because of insane workload. For example in IT working from home(2 to 3 days a week) became a standard if you don't provide it you will have no chance in the market. Of course the situation at the job market is very volatile and can change quickly!

Yes, correct. Most people have no choice and the companies know that..

Leanmaxxing likes this.
  11. GrittyRunning

GrittyRunning Fapstronaut

Lots of young men are completely giving up and personally I can't blame them even though i disagree with just giving up. All the former social contracts for Men have been broken yet society still wants them to hold up their end of the deal from the old at least somewhat more fair social contracts of the past. Society holds no such type of accountability for females however. In this modern era Men hold all the responsibility/accountability with none of the authority while the reverse is true for women, who hold none of the responsibility yet all the authority.

12. nellywilk

nellywilk Fapstronaut

I am a freelancer and don't have a clue about the job market. I like being independent and don't have any chefs/managers above me. I am a very orginised person and as soon as i enable sms on your bandwidth phone number, i am flexible to start working when and where i want.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  13. Some interesting things to know as a citizen of Planet Earth.

In Canada, as a nurse, we are already seeing this in the healthcare sector. COVID was a big nudge in this direction (more nursing retirees)

8bfc531c-da07-48d9-ab99-2e07a01be1f4.jpg

e16fd8d9-9b3f-49cd-8b33-49c849413cf1.jpg

9c22d640-99c8-4451-ba58-c1f54dc4044b.jpg

From The End of the World is Just the Beginning ( Zeihan, P., 2022)

Hence, the powers that be are scurrying to plug the holes in the sinking ship:

upload_2023-12-27_12-50-20.png

from
    https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio.../an-immigration-plan-to-grow-the-economy.html

GrittyRunning likes this.