People interested in mathematics???

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by deeroo, Mar 28, 2020.

1. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

Hi. I am one those people interested in math. I am highschool student but I really really enjoy math on a difficult level. Anyone sharing this passion too on this site???

2. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Yes. Math and physics.

idonthaveaname likes this.
  3. Gorgewalker

Gorgewalker Fapstronaut

Taking Further Maths at college, I think you'll find a few of us

4. I suggest you pick up a college textbook. It's never too early to start.

deeroo and Gorgewalker like this.
  5. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

thanks for advice, but in that moment I would like to keep going in competitive olympiad style math. In the next year(11 grade) I'll start learning calculus and higher algebra

6. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

Same plan in the future

7. two plus two is four minus one is three

quick mafs

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  8. Cool. If you find any interesting problems, post them here!

9. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

private is good?

10. Sure. But I don't know why are you afraid of being public. Nobody knows who you are.

11. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

yeah, you are right

12. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

I read my Masters in mathematics at university. Now I tutor students from GCSE to university-level. Still have a passion for the subject but I do occasionally get bored by modern syllabuses. Here's a good one accessible for all levels:

Q1. Two circles of radius 1 go through each other's centres. What is the exact area of overlap?

Post answers in a spoiler so as not to ruin it for others!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  13. 2pi/3-sqrt(3)/2
    High school geometry, I hope I didn't mess up lol. The general case would be lot harder, probably. Might need polar coordinates.

Sputnik I likes this.
  14. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

You got it! There is also the (still 2D) case of three circles of radius 1 going through each other's centres. It's not much harder than the problem above. But then it's interesting to ask why it's impossible to draw any more than 3 circles of equal radius that fulfil this criterion.

I actually never spent much time thinking about the general n-dimensional case. You mean like 3 spheres going through each other's centres? I'm sure there's some elegant answer... Polar coordinates seem like a good bet. 3Blue1Brown has a video on something similar, YouTube "The hardest problem on the hardest test".

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

Another question a student asked me about the other day. From the Oxford entrance test. Harder than above but very satisfying.
    [​IMG]

Muphy and Ghost in the Shell like this.
  16. (pi-sqrt(3))/2. In order to have 4 circles we would need 4 points all the same distance apart and that's impossible. At least on a plane.
    Maybe on a surface of a sphere it could be done?

I actually meant arbitrarily large circles arbitrarily distant from each other. But going up in dimensions might be more interesting. I have had that 3b1b video on my Watch Later list for ages lol.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  17. i) a^(n+1)-b^(n+1)
    ii) no because n^2-1 = (n-1)(n+1) and a product is a prime only if one of the factors is 1
    iii) 2 and nothing else because n^3+1 = (n+1)(n^2-n+1) and you know the rest
    I'll leave the rest for tomorrow. Thanks for these :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. deeroo

deeroo Fapstronaut

I am happy to see that this thread is active :).
    I give you the next statement :
    Show that there exists for every number n>=2 a sequence of n consecutive numbers such that all n numbers are composite(not prime)

19. Fomo Sapiens

Fomo Sapiens Fapstronaut

Let n>=2. Consider the number (n! +k) where 2 <= k <= n. This is always divisible by k. But this is a sequence of (n-1) consecutive numbers, so we're short by one. Instead, for any fixed n, we could just change the sequence to ((n+1)! + k), where 2 <= k <= n+1. Each of these is again divisible by k giving a sequence of n composite numbers.

Examples:
    n = 2: (2+1)! = 6. Sequence is 8,9
    n = 3: (3+1)! = 24. Sequence is 26, 27, 28
    n = 4: (4+1)! = 120. Sequence is 122, 123, 124, 125

Very enjoyable question! Was stuck in a boring online meeting when I saw it and couldn't stop scribbling :D

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  20. Finishing Sputnik's problems:
    iv) not prime. Using the equality in i) and the fact that 2015 is divisible by 5 i.e. 2015 = 5k where k is some integer we get 3^2015-2^2015 = (3^k-2^k)(3^(4k)+3^(3k)*2^k+3^(2k)*2^(2k)+3^k*2^(3k)+2^(4k))
    v) no. The expression is greater than k^3 but not large enough for the next cube which is (k+1)^3=k^3+3k^2+3k+1.
    (n+1)!+2, (n+1)!+3, ..., (n+1)!+n+1

Muphy and Sputnik I like this.