1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it immature to ask parents for relationship advice as an adult?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by xuledywo, Mar 1, 2024.

1. xuledywo

xuledywo Fapstronaut

I (24m) went through a bad break up a month ago (I broke up with her), and relied on my mother for advice and just someone to talk to. I talked to friends a lot too, but my mother is not in the friend group, so I felt I could opened up to her.

My ex found out and went on a long rant about how its immature to ask your parents for break up advice at 24. Do you think that's true? I know she has a bad relationship with her mom, who still scolds her about things. She also still lives at home.

My relationship with my mom doesn't have the same power dynamic, I feel were just two autonomous people. I moved out (30 minutes away) at 19, with on and off support from my parents. I visit twice a week or so for dinner and coffee, and we talk about our lives or whatever. During the breakup I was visiting 3-4 times a week for advice and just venting. Occasionally, we talk on the phone.

My ex obviously got under my skin. Ive had similar thoughts before too, that maybe I shouldn't rely so much on my mom at this age. I keep my life completely open to my mother, everything unfiltered, without feeling I'm being judged, and I dont know anyone else with that kind of relationship with their parents. Maybe I should try just working out problems other ways, without too much influence by my mom or even friends. What do you think?

KevinesKay likes this.
  2. xuledywo

xuledywo Fapstronaut

thanks in advance for any help

3. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Your ex is simply trying to irritate you and it's coming from a spirit of bitterness. She's bitter that you broke up with her. I wouldn't hesitate to ask my parents for dating advice. They've been married for over 30 years and that's a big commitment. If I were you, I would've done the same thing.

KevinesKay and Meshuga like this.
  4. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Dude. If the ex left you, what say does she have in it? You needed support. Maybe you'll get stronger over time, to a degree. But, if you invested of yourself in a relationship, then it's a serious ordeal to overcome and you'll always need an emotional safety net in your life.

Like what Drac is saying, though. Maybe it's better as advice than raw venting. Best thing is do what it takes to get through it. And, there has to be some jealousy about how you have family to rely on. If at all possible, don't let that stuff get to you. Easier said than done.

Best of luck getting back on your feet. Must be hard times.

drac16 likes this.
  5. Onuphrios

Onuphrios Fapstronaut

Just yesterday I asked my mother over the phone how to make some Schweinsbraten, pork in the oven with dark beer sauce (greetings from Bavaria). Its not an easy recipe but it turned out quite well thanks to her. She is also the same person who teached me how to walk and therefore it feels quite natural to ask her about any advice. In fact, its in some way even a duty of parenthood to teach your offspring the necesarry skills for living successfully. So I would not feel weird about it in any way.

If we are talking specifically about relationship advice I dont see any reason why it should be different than concerning Schweinsbraten or any other topic. In some way mothers are even more competent to give relationship advice because: 1. They know you personally quite well 2. they are women themself and give you an important perspective 3. they are from another generation and can transfer some wisdom they gained in their years.

Of course, and no one is denying that, you dont have to follow the advice of your parents. You dont have to follow any advice of any person. Not even your doctor. But if someone makes an argument that makes a lot of sense or gives quality advise, you would be stupid to dismiss it completely. Make your decisions yourself, but get advice from anyone who could give you valuable insights. It has nothing to do with your age and nothing to do who the other person is.

And since you are still in the early break up phase: Its normal to feel irritated about your own feelings and decisions. You literally had to say good bye to something that was in some way important to you in a hard but necessary way. I wish you all the best.

KevinesKay likes this.
  6. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

It’s neither immature, nor shameful, to rely on your parents into adulthood and even when you have your own kids. They have experience and wisdom that you don’t, and they are willing to share, so it would be foolish to scorn that help and try to do it all alone.

KevinesKay likes this.
  7. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you reaching out to your mother, the person who only wants what's best for you for relationship advice. Just like you, I am also 24 and although my parents recently divorced I can confidently state they have both provided me with the best advise in terms of relationships. Your mother feels storge love for you, natural love, she instinctively feels the need to look out for what's best for you. I failed to follow my mother's advice for many years and ended in dead-end relationships that caused me more harm them good. I began following her advice a couple years back and am now celebrating my one year of marriage with the woman of my dreams. Not all mothers will be perfect, not all advice will be solid. All I have to say is that if she truly loves her son, she will always look out for what's best for him, you.

KevinesKay likes this.
  8. KevinesKay

KevinesKay Fapstronaut

The only reason your ex is upset is because you made her look bad to your mother. I might see her point better if you two were still together. Your wife knows that you're mother won't be as forgiving for the way she treats you, her son.

So I do think it's damaging to a relationship for either partner to make one another look bad to others, especially a parent. Yet I see women do this probably more than men. But now that you're broken up, I don't see it so bad. Why should your ex care? She's probably smearing your name in front of her family and friends. I believe that she thinks you're doing this out of spite and being malicious by sharing details of your relationship to your mother. Which you're not. Your seeking wise counsel. And I believe that's more important than trying to protect her reputation.

On another note, why are you and your ex still communicating? If you two are considering getting back together, then going to your mom would absolutely be a bad idea. But otherwise, stop communicating with your ex. The relationship is over. Move on.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024