Has anyone successfully learned a second language in their 20s?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by EmperorLaStrang, Oct 29, 2023.

1. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

Hello!

I recently visited Eastern Europe and fell in love with it. I would love to go back, however, when I go back I want to be able to speak the language.

I know slavic languages are complicated to learn. Especially for english speakers.

Has anyone learned a language in their 20s here? and if so how did you go about it.

2. Matrofe

Matrofe Fapstronaut

Hello. I view foreign language differently, in 'healthier' way.It all depends what you want from that langauge, to be able communicate, to be someone that is working with that, or just for yourself. I started learning Spanish in my 20, without school and now I could write and speak with native I could even pass an exam but I prefer to speak than doing these weird exercises. Altought I did reject the school curriculum of learning dozen of words.It is entirely possible to learn if the passion is there. Often we hear that doing nofap for having girlfriend for nights is not the right way but I reckon that learning language only for salary is similar if there is lack of passion in it.
    About the last inquiry is it literally about watching , hearing anything with this languge according to the proficiency with is with at first the basic
    that includes starting at the nivel you had learnt the first langauge, did you learn the langauge by studing countless words? Repeating them over and over? nah you learnt beacuse you were taught by your parents , they were speaking to you words that were simple but making it sound , you were watching fairy tales, so best way to learn is by doing similar strategy and twining fun with study.

Rhuidean and EmperorLaStrang like this.
  3. Caffeine

Caffeine Fapstronaut

It's true that children learn much more quickly and that the adult student might not be able to get rid of his accent. But you can still get to a near native level in some hundred hours of practice. Read, listen to, speak and write the language.

Personally, while I learned quite a bit of English and German in the formal school setting, most of my skill in those languages comes from my own unstructured learning; youtube, games, books, chat ... I think that's true for most.

Rhuidean and EmperorLaStrang like this.
  4. Agree with the above posters.

Yes it is definately possible. I learned to speak French starting from the age of 25 (More or less fluently but with some errors here and there).

Also started learning Spanish at the age of 27, though that is not nearly as good, but good enough to get around.

The trick for me was meeting up with people and actually speaking the language (after you learn the basics, which you can do on sites like duolingo). You do not need to know the details of all the grammar rules. You can learn after you learn to actually communicate with people.

My advice is, that if you really a passion for learning a new language then go for it! Yes, slavic languages are hard, but if you have a motivation and passion for learning, then you definately can do it.

I actually am also kinda considering right now learning a slavic language as well, probably either Polish or Russian.

Semtex and EmperorLaStrang like this.
  5. EmperorLaStrang

I'm learning russian rn.

Starting with the alphabet before I go anywhere else.

I got a library card recently which allows you to use Mango languages for free

Feel free to msg me in russian and we can practice together!

Semtex likes this.
  6. Caffeine

Caffeine Fapstronaut

I think I might study Pali.

The Awakened One (Buddha) said:

Ekāyano ayaṃ, bhikkhave, maggo sattānaṃ visuddhiyā

Ekayano maggo - straight path, the path straightened by john the baptist, the sirat al mustaqim of islam
    Sattanam visuddhiya - purification of beings, yes Satan = being!

He later explains the caturāriyasaccāni - the four noble truths. 'Catu' means 'four' which transformed into sanskrt 'chatuvari' which in turn morphed into russian 'Четыре'. I saw leaked images online of Putin as a buddhist monk and now I know why.

Very interesting stuff!

EmperorLaStrang likes this.
  7. EmperorLaStrang

emoji-exploding-head-3d-model-max-obj-fbx.jpg