1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know about the “physical therapist” profession?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by HealingBodyandMind, Mar 12, 2024.

1. HealingBodyandMind

HealingBodyandMind Fapstronaut

Hey everyone,

I’m considering going back to school to try and become a physical therapist.

does anyone know much about this profession? Any words or advice or guidance?

thanks in advance for you replies!

Heypleasehelpme likes this.
  2. Heypleasehelpme

Heypleasehelpme Fapstronaut

Take care of yourself pal

HealingBodyandMind likes this.
  3. HealingBodyandMind

thanks, any thoughts on the post though?

4. Heypleasehelpme

Heypleasehelpme Fapstronaut

Sorry brother no Idea bout that

5. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

I think you will need some medical degree or training for that. Try finding an institution near your area that can provide u with that training. First apply for a medical degree on physio therapy at the University see that if u are accepted. After graduation u can apply for a license.

6. HealingBodyandMind

Thanks, yea it is a 3 year program to be a licensed physical therapist. First I would need to take some prerequisite classes at a community college and get some shadowing experience before actually applying to the program

Mr. Cooler likes this.
  7. conventionnebulous

conventionnebulous New Fapstronaut

It's possible that there could be differences in the settings or configurations between the two accounts or devices that could result in different behavior. It's also possible that there could be variations in the algorithms used by the service based on factors such as user behavior, location, or device type. If you suspect there is a difference in how the algorithm operates between the two accounts, you may want to review the settings and configurations of each account and compare them to see if there are any differences that could explain the variation in behavior.

8. FocusIsLove

FocusIsLove Fapstronaut

It's perhaps the most important part of many physical injuries and even general pain, and is heavily under emphasized in America. Unfortunately it's often only put focus on when they can't sell a surgery because the patient is too old and frail. In some ways it's gratifying, in others it's frustrating because clearly people should have been recommended exercises that help maintain their body decades ago, but the current medical infrastructure highly doesn't tend to prescribe unless it is dire. I say this as someone who worked in nursing home(CNA) and has had a physical therapist's assistant as a step mother for ~15 years.

It can be fulfilling and also lucrative, especially if you go to the full PT license. The PTA's are overworked and often given patients that are very difficult(low ability to move themselves in the exercise, and sometimes while also being very overweight). The PT works with them too, but the lion's share goes to the PTA's

Also, be prepared to be faced with the moral challenge of medicare fraud. My step mom had to quit dozens of jobs in her life because eventually the management would change and the new management would be morally bankrupt enough to steal from the system that is supposed to take care of the elderly and sick.

If you are someone who finds fulfillment in helping others and want a good way to do that while making a living, I say it's a fine fit. It can be hard to find something to do to live that also doesn't feel like you are helping a harmful system. PT is one of the better ones I think in the medical system.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024
  9. HealingBodyandMind

Thanks a lot! This way great and encouraging to read

10. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Wife is a physical therapist. What exactly do you want to know?

11. HealingBodyandMind

Is it easy/hard to find a job? Is the pay decent?

Is it an enjoyable profession?

was it hard to get into physical therapy school?

thanks a lot! Those are the questions I can think of right now

Meshuga likes this.
  12. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Once you have the degree, placement in a job is fairly easy. You might not get a job in the specialty you want for the compensation you want, but there are plenty of PT jobs and you can keep searching for the one you want while expending your skillset.

The pay is, frankly, not good. Not in proportion to the amount of schooling it requires. The people who like the job do love it, though. PT is a profession where you are directly responsible for significant improvement in quality of life for your patients, you are able to see clear results, you make a significant, measurable difference and PTs find it extremely rewarding. It does require a certain type of person to enjoy it, though. All the PTs I have met (and it’s been a lot) are huge nerds about their profession. They find the musculoskeletal and/or nervous systems absolutely fascinating, they tend to be empathetic, most are very health conscious, and demonstrate some degree of extroversion. A PT convention is, um, special.

For a profession that requires a lot of graduate school and doesn’t pay that well, it’s relatively competitive to get into. At least, it was last I knew. There are some hybrid programs that do a lot of classroom/lecture work online, with intense onsite labs every now and then, and those are cheaper because they don’t have to pay overhead to maintain classroom space the entire time. But then there’s travel and housing expenses for those labs, so I don’t know how it pans out in the end. You’ll have to be smart about it.

I don’t know if it makes a difference, good or bad, but PT is roughly 80% female as a profession, so you’d be spending a lot of time with women as colleagues.

I should note, all of this only applies to the US. I have no idea what it’s like in the UK, Canada, or anywhere else with socialized medicine.

13. HealingBodyandMind

I think some PTs make over $100,000 a year if I read it correctly?

Well, thanks a lot for your reply! I feel like I’ve gotten a little bit of an inside look into the life/lifestyle of a PT

I’d say I’m health conscious and also have a partially extroverted personality… also am interested in learning new knowledge and think the human body would be interesting to study .. maybe it would be a good fit since I’d prefer a happy lifestyle with less pay than a miserable job that paid a lot

Meshuga likes this.
  14. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

You can hit that mark with time, and growth, but in most cases it wouldn’t be as a PT. It would be as a person who manages PTs. To be fair, that is what most professions are like. The big bucks are in leadership. It might be possible to hit that mark as a PT for a pro football or basketball team, but I know less about the sports specialty. And you wouldn’t be able to count on that, obviously.

And don’t misunderstand, PTs do make decent money and/or can afford a more relaxed lifestyle compared to some other jobs. In healthcare, though, you can make significantly more for similar education as a dentist, PA, or anesthesiologist. Student loans are a big deal for many new PT grads.

My wife complained a lot but she was able to support the entire house with six kids on her single income. She also was able to graduate without any debt, so that’s something to consider.

If you think you’re a good fit and you have mostly As and few to no Cs on your transcript, go for it.