Ūruz's fitness journal: losing weight and getting in shape

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Ūruz, Oct 28, 2022.

1. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 1 of 3 days water fast in progress...

2. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

I just leave the stomach acid alone, it just sits there unused, it's not a big deal. Fasting does not cause ulcers. That being said, if you already have stomach ulcers then fasting is not recommended—consult your physician if you have any existing health problems, whether that would be ulcers or anything else, to see whether it's safe to fast. But personally I don't have any such preexisting health problems so I don't have to worry about it; fasting does not cause health problems, if anything it heals a lot of health problems.

Normally the body adjusts and self–regulates, and does not overproduce the stomach acid. But if for some people it does then it probably is not caused by fasting, there might be some preexisting health anomaly. In that case, if you start getting heartburn/acid reflux, mix some baking soda with water and drink it, it will neutralize the extra stomach acid. But like I said, this normally does not happen when fasting, unless a person already has some type of preexisting health condition which makes them overproduce the stomach acid. But for normal healthy people the body will realize that the food is not coming in and downregulate the production of stomach acid naturally.

That being said, make sure you do not do anything that can trigger stomach acid overproduction though, such as drinking coffee while fasting, if you have this problem. Also, if you have acid reflux while fasting, try to ease into it. What I mean by that is try to start with an intermittent fasting protocol for a couple of weeks, then decrease the eating window gradually aver the course of few weeks, like that your body will have time to adjust and downregulate the production of stomach acid as it sees that less and less food comes in—sometimes eating too many meals a day and then jumping into a sudden fast can be too fast of a change for the body to immediately catch up.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  3. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 2 of 3 days water fast in progress...

4. Prochon

Prochon Fapstronaut

Can you do exercise while fasting? I hear that exercising on a fasting stomach will help burn fat. However, when I exercise on a fasting stomach, I don't have a lot of energy

Ūruz and jw2021 like this.
  5. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Sure you can, I do regular 10k walks every day for my cardio when fasted. Sometimes I even do another, usually shorter, walk again later that day. But that's slow steady cardio, I don't think I would have energy to do any intense runs or anything like that. Well, maybe on day 1 of the fast, but certainly not on day 3 and beyond. Not having lots of energy when fasting is normal though, the main cause for it is running low on electrolytes, so you could drink some calorie free electrolyte water to get some more energy back. And the fact that on longer fasts you are slowly switching into keto state probably also has something to do with energy loss; I remember when I was trying out keto diet I was always tired, even if I would eat every day, zero carb foods. I guess it makes sense, since carbs are our main source of energy.
    Yes, apparently it's true that exercising while fasting will burn more fat, but only if certain requirements are met; I remember Huberman talked about it on his podcast episode #21 (time stamp: 01:13:30)—I like to listen to this guy all the time, lot's of very useful stuff! Not just theoretical science babble, but actually applicable in real life!
    But I would not worry about it too much, weight loss is simple, it's all about the calorie deficit, so if I were you I would just focus on that instead. The reason why extended water fasting is so powerful for weight loss is cause it puts you in a massive calorie deficit.

6. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 3 of 3 days water fast in progress...

7. Prochon

Prochon Fapstronaut

Thank you for inspiring me to go on a water fast. This is my 1st day of water fasting, I'm gonna try to go for 3 days. Let's see how it goes. Previously, I had a hard time controlling my urges. But now that I'm fasting, it's much easier to control my urges. Thank you

Ūruz and jw2021 like this.
  8. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

2 and a half day water fast completed!
    Ended up breaking my fast on day 3, several hours before the finish line. I am still very satisfied with how long I lasted though, because this was way longer than my previous 2 day fast, which I broke almost instantly after waking up in the early morning—this one lasted deep into day 3—I am sure the next one will be even longer. And once again this fast was even easier than last one, less hunger by a mile (it got hard at the end though, but I think it was cause I got trigger by some bad emotion, so old unhealthy pattern of using food as a coping mechanism set in), I feel like I am progressing and am happy about it.

9. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

3 days of eating done today, starting another water fast tomorrow.

10. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 1 of water fast in progress...

jw2021 and MindfulWarrior like this.
  11. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Awesome! Let's do this! :cool:

12. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Ok lol! No worries. :D

13. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Lol I ended up eating today too. :oops:
    O well, not a big deal, gonna try again tomorrow (or rather, still gonna start the fast from today, just from several hours later than I had originally intended I guess).

MindfulWarrior and jw2021 like this.
  14. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 1 of the water fast in progress...

jw2021 likes this.
  15. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

1 day water fast completed!
    Broke it after 41 hours, to be more precise. Happy about this one, it was pretty easy and stress free. I could have drank more water though by the end of a fast; note to myself: make sure to hydrate early in the day so you don't have to struggle to try catch up later in the evening.
    Today I will eat and then will go for another one tomorrow.

MindfulWarrior and jw2021 like this.
  16. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Day 1 of the water fast in progress...

17. ILL-MAKE-IT

ILL-MAKE-IT Fapstronaut

Good buddy, I m fasting too today .

Ūruz, MindfulWarrior and jw2021 like this.
  18. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

Good job! ;)
    What's your goals and reasons? Also weight loss, like me? Or something else?

jw2021 and ILL-MAKE-IT like this.
  19. ILL-MAKE-IT

ILL-MAKE-IT Fapstronaut

So, I started in 2018, but unfortunately, I got sidetracked for the past two years due to various temptations... However, I'm back on track now and feeling really good about it. I was inspired to start by watching a documentary about autophagy and the Nobel prize of 2016.... Since then, I've been doing intermittent fasting every day, where I fast for 20 hours and have a 4-hour window for eating. I also do a whole day of water fasting once a week, and have one cheat day a week for special occasions...I was feeling very healthy and my fitness level went significally up.

The reason I'm so committed to this routine is because I've noticed that whenever I eat... I tend to get a little lazy and start scrolling through YouTube, which can lead me to make poor decisions and cheat on my schedule....( watch stupid things instead.).

Fun Faxt : Roman soldiers used to eat nothing during workdays , and have a big meal during the evening.

Ūruz and MindfulWarrior like this.
  20. Ūruz

Ūruz Fapstronaut

1 day water fast completed!
    Another easy one. Feel like I am getting that momentum back finally, as least as far as the day 1 is concerned. Now it's just about building that duration!
    Planning to do another one starting Monday. Will aim for more than just one day this time.

MindfulWarrior and ILL-MAKE-IT like this.