Seeking Advice: Drug Rehab Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ricardohector, Apr 3, 2024.

1. ricardohector

ricardohector Fapstronaut

Hey everyone,

I'm currently facing a challenging situation and could use some advice. A close friend of mine is struggling with substance abuse, and I'm considering suggesting they seek help from a drug rehab program.

However, I'm unsure about the best approach to broach this sensitive topic. How do I bring up the idea of rehab without causing offense or resistance? what should I look for in a reputable rehab facility? Any personal experiences or insights would be greatly appreciated.

My priority is supporting my friend in their journey to recovery, and I want to make sure I handle this delicate situation with care.

2. ricardohector

ricardohector Fapstronaut

thanks in advance for any help

3. Ghost️

Ghost️ Fapstronaut

Hi @ricardohector

In terms of finding a good facility the most you can do is research and read reviews/testimonials, or visit the facilities if they’re in your area and meet with the staff.

As for broaching the topic of addiction, that’s a little trickier. As someone who was a drug addict, there are four phases they could be at:
    1. They have a problem but deny they have a problem.
    2. They acknowledge they have a problem but don’t want to take on the suffering needed to change.
    3. They acknowledge they have a problem and are willing to do whatever is needed to change.
    4. They acknowledge they have a problem and want to change, but there are legitimate obstacles to them getting help: lack of funds, support, etc
    If it’s 1 or 2 then they will probably be offended by the rehab recommendation. While it’s nice to try and minimize that, you will have to accept, at some point, that doing the caring thing might require stepping on toes. If you’ve never expressed concerns for their condition with them then jumping straight to “go to rehab” might be extreme. I would start by having personal conversations with them, offer to listen, express your concern, take into account their circumstance/situation and then, eventually, work towards the topic of rehab.

4. drac16

drac16 Fapstronaut

Make sure he/she knows that your advice is coming not out of judgment, but out of great charity. Tell them that you love them and that you want them to be set free from this addiction.