NoFap Lenten Journey

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DisciplineYourMind, Feb 7, 2016.

1. DisciplineYourMind

DisciplineYourMind Fapstronaut

For those of you who are Catholic (or of a similar Christian variant), you will know that Lent begins this Wednesday the 10th February, which is Ash Wednesday.

Lent is a time of fasting, abstinence, and penance, which makes it the perfect time to commit yourself even more resolutely to the NoFap challenge. There are 46 days from Ash Wednesday until Easter Sunday - abstaining from PMO for this length of time will add considerably to whatever streaks you may already have.

I will be using this thread throughout Lent to post spiritual inspirations that may help you in your journey. Feel free to also do the same. Even if you are not religious, by all means join in the discussion - we're all in this battle together!

Before embarking on the Lenten journey to abstain from PMO, I highly suggest you go to confession either before Lent starts, or on Ash Wednesday (perhaps directly before attending Ash Wednesday mass). I find that knowing you are starting the journey with a "clean slate" so to speak, provides even greater motivation to keep it that way. Of course, if you do relapse during Lent, don't be too hard on yourself! Go to confession as soon as possible, and try to make it the rest of the way without falling.

This goes without saying, but obviously just because Sundays are not days of abstinence, this doesn't mean you can simply go and PMO*. The idea with this form of abstinence is to go the full 46 days!

Good luck! I will be praying for all of you, please do the same for me!

* Note for those of you who are married: I know some people abstain from PM for the full duration of Lent, but from O on all days except Sunday (so long as O is in the context of having sex with your spouse). Traditionally when you gave up things for Lent (such as meat, or dairy) you were allowed to eat them on Sunday. In a similar way, you may find the journey easier if you do this. For the rest of us, we'll be battling out the full 46 days with no PMO!

birthofthecool, Alejandro16 and ropie like this.
  2. Hi,
    I was raised Catholic, but I never participated in Lent - thanks to your post I will this time.
    Since I do not masturbate anymore, I will think of something else - and it has to be difficult, just to proof myself that I can do it.
    Thank you for your inspiration.

3. ropie

ropie Fapstronaut

Let's take this lent seriously. Yes, it's 46 days with sundays. During this time we can offer our struggles to Jesus in case that our relationship with Him can reach a deeper level.

4. Alejandro16

Alejandro16 Fapstronaut

I've never participated in Lent, but I feel that it is another reminder to turn my heart and mind back toward God in a more formal way. I take comfort knowing that lots of believers are entering this sacrificial period right now. Thank you for the message @DisciplineYourMind

5. J_ATX

J_ATX Fapstronaut

Non-Catholic here, but raised Christian. I've always liked the idea of Lent and have struggled lately in the PMO realm, which has been affecting my personal and professional life. Recently, I got some great motivational advice about goals and what's stopping me from achieving those goals. I know PMO is a big road block and it seems like Ash Wednesday and Lent came around at the perfect time for me. Count me in!

6. I have decided to give this up for lent. I keep thinking of Jesus' suffering during the scourging. If he went through that suffering for me, then can I suffer with him? Think of it as if you had committed a serious crime and the law was going to chain you by the wrists to a post, rip off your clothes and beat you with leather straps that have iron tongs attached to the ends. Now picture your friend arranging with the authorities to take your place. He get beaten within an inch of his life on your behalf. Though the period of Lent is so much more, this is the one image I cannot get out of my head. When I think of not PMOing for the next 46 days, as tough as it's going to be, it just seems to pale in comparison. Remember, the Romans did mess around like we do today. I offer up my suffering to Him that gave all for me.

There are a couple of things that will help me, and if you like you can do the same. I will be attending mass daily and praying the Rosary as well. Just so you know, I don't have much of a prayer life, but I feel this is the opportune time to develope it.

7. Lightning Man

Lightning Man Fapstronaut

I'm in and am actually started my first journal about the experience so we'll see how this goes. I've also signed up for Matthew Kelly's Best Lent Ever. It's good so far and pretty simple to follow, and Free! There's a short video and reflection emailed to me each day. If anyone is interested you can get more information at the below website:

dynamiccatholic.com/bestlentever/

God bless everyone