1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinion thread on the "friend-zone"

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Ridley, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

There's a lot of talk about the friend-zone in this neck of the woods, so I thought I'd just throw in my two cents on the matter. First of all, I should mention where I'm coming from, so that there's no doubts about my intentions or my biases: I'm not a feminist. I'm not a part of "the left". I'm not a "white knight". I'm just a guy with my own set of experiences and subjective opinions. I'm not approaching this with the intent of pushing a particular political, social, or philosophical agenda. The purpose of this thread is to explore the topic and to (hopefully) help people who feel like they are stuck in "the friend-zone". I'm a little annoyed that I have to make that sort of disclaimer, but the last thing I want is for this valuable discussion to degenerate into a flame war about identity politics.

With that out of the way, here we go:

First, some terminology, so I know we're all talking about the same thing: The friend-zone, as I understand it, is a state in which a man wants to have sex with a woman, but she doesn't want to have that sort of relationship with him (often characterized by her saying she wants to remain "just friends"). Pretty simple.

Now, for my opinion on it: The friend-zone is a situation that men put themselves in. That is, it's a preventable situation, but the only way to prevent it is for men to adjust their attitudes and behaviors surrounding sex. In order to really explain what I mean, I need to go into some more detail, so I'll do that now. Here are the traits that I believe best characterize the sort of men who end up in the friend-zone.
    1. A sense of entitlement about sex. Men who believe there are certain conditions under which a woman is obligated to have sex with him will undoubtedly become frustrated when, even after meeting those conditions, their desires are not satisfied. The conditions these men tend to believe are enough to guarantee them sexual favors vary, but some more common ones are buying things for her, spending time with her, listening to her talk about her problems, or being physically attractive. Additionally, when a man believes that there are certain conditions under which a woman is obligated to have sex with him, he has to place the blame somewhere when he meets those conditions and still doesn't end up getting what he wants. Some friend-zoned men will blame the woman herself: "she only dates assholes" or "she was just leading me on". Others will blame some coincidental fact about themselves: "I'm unattractive" or "I'm an incel". Others will blame society or some ideology: "I didn't get what I want because feminism has poisoned the minds of women" or "dating is so different these days".
    2. Vague or unclear intentions. Men who hide their true intentions about sex from women are often frustrated when she doesn't get the message. I've seen sob-story after sob-story of men who got friend-zoned, and almost all of them involve hiding of true intentions. I've heard men say things like "it was going really well, but I wanted to just take things slow" or "I asked her out on a date, but I didn't really use the word 'date'". They wait for the perfect moment to make their intentions clear (I think the reason for this is to avoid the risk of being rejected), but they end up frustrated when it never comes up.
    3. Not being authentic. Women really do like nice guys. But it's not just women, it's everybody. Everybody likes nice guys. Everybody likes nice people. Being nice is... well... nice! The problem with these men who get friend-zoned is that they are only nice to a woman until they no longer believe there is any chance they could have sex with her. In other words, guys who are friend-zoned are often "nice", but it's not authentic niceness. It's conditional niceness. It's niceness that comes with a price: sex.
    4. Black-and-white reasoning around sex and women. Guys who end up in the friend-zone often have a hard time seeing the full spectrum of possibility when it comes to women. They tend to believe there's no reason to pursue a relationship with a woman at all unless she's willing to have sex. They're either having sex with her, or they don't want anything to do with her. There's no middle ground. They tend to equate having anything other than a sexual relationship with a woman as a complete waste of time.
    These are just my observations and, fortunately, I think all of them are preventable. In most of these cases, it just takes a little bit of an attitude adjustment and some practice. Here are my suggestions for addressing each of these issues:
    1. Give up your entitlement over sex. Nobody is obligated to have sex with you under any circumstances. It doesn't matter how much time you've spent with a person, it doesn't matter how much money you've spent on that person, it doesn't matter if you were kind, empathetic, and vulnerable. Nobody owes you sex. If you're having trouble with this one, try to imagine what it would be like if one of your best guy friends started to become really frustrated with you because you refused to have sex with him. Then, try to imagine that he says you were just "leading him on" for all these years of friendship, pinning the blame on you.
    2. Practice making your intentions clear. If you want something more out of a relationship with a woman, tell her as soon as you feel that way about her. Don't dilly-dally. Don't wait for the perfect moment where you're absolutely certain she'll accept your proposal. There is no such perfect moment. Sometimes, you ask out a girl and she rejects you. That's life. Rejection is not a bad thing. It makes you stronger and helps you grow. You need rejection in your life to give the time that she accepts your proposal substance. If every woman accepted every sexual advance you ever made, then what's the difference between a woman and a sex doll? The longer you hide your intentions, the more painful it will be if she rejects you when you finally spill the beans.
    3. Just be yourself, man. Don't act a certain way because you believe that acting that way will win you sexual favor. Act how you want to act. Be yourself for its own sake. You don't want a woman to have sex with you because you did the right actions at the right time and because you said the right things at the right moments. You want her to have sex with you because she really likes you for who you are. I know this one is particularly difficult as a man in the western world these days. We're taught from a very young age to hide our emotions from other people. We're taught that showing extreme emotion, like crying or elation, is a sign of weakness. We're taught that the most successful people are the ones who are cool, calm, and reserved at all times. Sometimes, it feels like the only place in which it's considered normal for a man to be weak, soft, and vulnerable is in the bedroom, which is probably a part of what makes the modern man so obsessed with sex. Try to break those boundaries down. You'll discover there's a whole realm of possibility out there if you just be yourself.
    4. Have all sorts of relationships with women. By all means, continue dating, flirting, and pursuing sexual relationships with women. That's healthy and normal. However, consider also pursuing other types of relationships with women at the same time. If you're a student, meet women in study groups just to work on schoolwork together (with no intention of having sex). Meet your female neighbors. Go to events and meetups that are in line with your interests and talk to the women who share those same interests. Make friends with all sorts of women and get to know what they're like when you're not trying to get in their pants. You're not wasting your time just because you're not taking her to the bedroom. This isn't some pick-up-artist advice or any bullshit like that. Having platonic relationships with women isn't going to "get you laid more" or anything like that. It's just going to give you some perspective, and maybe help you feel less frustrated about society, women, yourself, and everything else.
    Again, this is all just my opinion, and my intention here is to start a discussion. I'm not framing anything that I'm saying as fact. It doesn't really mean anything without the perspective of other people. So, I'm looking forward to seeing all the responses people have to this thread. I'm really sticking my neck out there with this one, and I imagine I might get some flame for this post, but I think it's worth it, and I won't take anything personally.

2. SpoonDog

SpoonDog Fapstronaut

There’s some excellent stuff there which chimes with my own experiences.

You tend to find out about friend zoning the hard way when you’re younger and I remember as a teenager learning that the nice guy act is often doomed to failure.

These days I manage to avoid it by not slipping into those traps, though with some girls I date we do end becoming mates but it’s always a mutual thing.

3. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

I think that's the experience for a lot of people, but some never get that experience when they're young for one reason or another. I understand that perspective, even though it hasn't been my experience in life.

Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your perspective), I've had all sorts of female friends my entire life. Even way back in primary school I always preferred hanging out with the girls during recess over the boys. I think that helped me avoid a lot of the frustrations that some men feel when they start dating. It was a tradeoff, though. I remember getting bullied for hanging out with girls during recess. The bullying evolved over time, and once everyone started hitting puberty the bullying changed from "it's weird that you hang out with girls" to "you must be gay because you hang out with girls". Rough times.

I'm only mentioning all of this because I think all of those experiences shaped me into who I am right now. Maybe that helps to understand about me, maybe not. I thought it was worth sharing, though.

SpoonDog likes this.
  4. Thank you for writing this down. I think a lot of people on this forum should read your post and learn from it.

Eleanor and FX-05 like this.
  5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Excellent post.

You're either a friend or you're not. Pretending to be a friend for the purpose of hidden intentions isn't a being a friend.

The friend zone is the grey zone where you don't lose, but you also don't win. It's playing safe. Playing not to lose. You won't get rejected and you won't have what you really want, but you get more time to convince / manipulate that person towards your hidden intentions.

The more bold and clear you are with your intentions, the more clear the other person will be with their interest level. People stuck in the friend zone fear the outcome. They procrastinate on doing what they know they should be doing because they're waiting for guarantees before taking action. Guarantees don't exist. So the uncertain outcome makes them not want to go for it, but also not want to lose that person completely.... thus spending more time with them pretending to be a friend. Everything they say or do is a manipulation towards their hidden intention. So they convince / compensate / perform / manipulate / over accommodating / over pleasing until they have an absolute guarantee that they won't be rejected. Which never comes. So they continue to be stuck in the friend zone playing not to lose.

Then one day they finally get an answer and they get mad because "I've done so much for you... I treat you better than anyone else... I did this and that so you're supposed to like me..." It's a secret contract they made in their mind that if they act in a way that they think the other person will like them for... then they'll get what they want out of that person.

People who get stuck in the friend zone are for a lack of a better word... immature.

SpoonDog likes this.
  6. I'll be honest. I haven't read your post, but I'm thinking about it. I might have to force myself to read it.
    I kind of like being in the friend zone. Some of my best friends are girls that I was/am very attracted to and I frequently encounter attractive women (like some of the girls at work for instance) and think that I would really like to be in their friend zone.

I love beautiful women and there is something special about being in their lives at that level.

Maybe I have commitment issues . . . :oops:

7. I struggle with the entire notion that being a woman's friend implies that you've somehow lost. Sometimes....honestly....women just want to have friends and it's super frustrating that many men view relationships with women as totally binary: you're either in a relationship or not and there's no middle ground. If someone feels they've been 'friend-zoned' maybe they need to examine their own motivations and desires, and adjust their expectations. Just venting here, but I completely agree with @Ridley on his post in case that point was lost here. Very well said.

+TenPercent likes this.
  8. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Whenever you finally get around to reading my OP, I think you'll find that one of my points is that there's nothing wrong with being friends with women. It's not a loss or a disadvantage in your life. In fact, I encourage you to make friends with all sorts of women. It's not advice I'm giving you because I think it will get you laid or anything like that. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I think that you should do it because it will give you some perspective and a sense of balance in your life.

+TenPercent likes this.
  9. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

There's nothing wrong with being friends... IF that's what you really want.

Where it goes wrong is when people pretend to be someone's friend when they want something else entirely. That's when it becomes manipulative towards hidden intentions. That's the whole concept of the friend zone... you're ironically not being a friend.

If you went for it, got rejected, and still want to be friends, that's absolutely fine.

10. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Yeah, I think this is an important point. Kind of touches on what I was saying about authenticity. Being nice (or being a friend) is all well and good, but simply acting nice (or acting like someone's friend) when you secretly want something else is just dishonest towards yourself and those around you.

11. Just Rose

Just Rose Distinguished Fapstronaut

Gosh I love your perspective.

12. HuwhiteMale

HuwhiteMale Fapstronaut

It's unfortunate that so many guys develop this mentality, but it's not unexpected. We're bombarded everyday with how important sex is, and that if you're not having sex you're a loser. If you're a virgin you're a loser. If your bed-post doesn't have 30+ notches you're a loser. Thus guys who identify as "incels" or somesuch become resentful, because they've be socialized to look down on themselves and they don't recognize what healthy relationships (friendships or otherwise) with women look like. It's a common trope in films that the girl eventually falls for the "nice guy" who actually exhibits insecurity (like jealously), stalker-like behavior, and is infatuated with her - "putting the pussy on a pedestal." Furthermore, a lot of guys (if they were anything like myself) grew up in a house-hold where the woman wore the pants and / or one where their parents were just together "for the children" or a broken household. They did not learn from their fathers what actual affection looks like, or how to properly court a woman, or what manly attributes attract women.

If I could add something to your list, similar to giving up the entitlement for sex and just being yourself, it would be have no expectations. If you go to talk to a girl, just talk to her like a regular person. You're not trying to get anything from her. You don't expect her to reject you and you're not trying to impress her. You're not trying to get her number, set up a date, or for her to fall madly in love at first sight. And because you don't expect anything from her, you can be natural and rejection won't sent you into a depression spiral of negative thoughts.

I agree with you about being natural, but I disagree somewhat with what being emotional and vulnerable means. As men, we're suppose to be strong and centered. It isn't that we're suppose to hide our emotions (although that's the message that may come across or get delivered) it's that we aren't suppose to let circumstance, environment, or external events shake us. There are many old poems that reference this, like If by Rudyard Kipling. Extreme emotion has a time and a place, like everything, and that's what makes a moment of weakness different from a moment of vulnerability - the two are not synonymous. You can be vulnerable while still being strong, and it takes a great deal of courage and confidence to let yourself be vulnerable. Weakness is when you lose self-control and your response-ability; when you become a slave to your impulses and emotions.

SaveMeBeforeIFall likes this.
  13. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Oh yeah, this speaks right to me. Especially that last note about not having a father who showed me what actual affection looks like. My father was abusive (both to my mother and to me and my siblings). I learned about affection and having loving relationships with women pretty much on my own.

Yeah, I think all of that goes with what I was saying, and I think this is what I was talking about when I was talking about entitlement to sex. Having an expectation of sex = feeling entitled to sex in my mind.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I don't think I ever suggested that men of night not strive to be both vulnerable and strong, and I certainly don't believe that the two are mutually exclusive. In fact, I think being vulnerable and actually expressing your emotions honestly can take a lot of strength. I also agree with the sentiment that one can go off the deep end and become a slave or puppet for their emotions. I don't think that vulnerability is inherently good, or that it's always the right decision to make. I think my point was more that being able to be vulnerable and to express emotions freely is a skill that a lot of men lack, and that many of us could use a bit more of that in our lives.

wanderlust713 likes this.
  14. This is how I explain the friend zone to my male friends (I’m a female)

Let’s say that you meet a girl named Jenny... she’s so funny, she likes the same things as you, you guys can talk about anything and she is just a really cool chick with no drama or attitude. Jenny is not your type physically she’s really fat and doesn’t wear makeup but that doesn’t matter because you’re not interested in dating her- she’s just cool to hang out with. She also does really nice things for you-she helps you when you need help and is someone you can always count on. After a few months of hanging out Jenny tries to make a move on you. You’re confused because you didn’t give her any indication that you liked her that way. Now she’s acting all bitchy and crazy saying that you led her on and that she’s stuck in the friend zone.
    See, Jenny was only pretending to be your friend because she wanted your dick and now that you won’t give it up she’s angry. Yet you assumed that she was just trying to be friends.

This here is the friend zone reversed and why it doesn’t even exist. If Jenny wanted more from you she should have made her intentions clear from the beginning. Pretending to be a friend doesn’t mean you’re in the friend zone it means you’re an asshole who’s trying to manipulate someone

15. Why couldn't you read it?

16. Well that's a stupid video! The whole idea that every man wants to be friends with a woman because he want to have sex with her is so stupid! Some men can be friends with women without wanting to have sex. If you insist people need to wake up, I say you're one who need to wake up and stop watching 'alpha male' shit on YouTube!

17. Oh no you again.

18. 0111zerozero11

0111zerozero11 Fapstronaut

He's actually correct...believe it or not

Deleted Account and +TenPercent like this.
  19. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

I didn't watch the video because I didn't really want to. I don't really want to invest the time haha

Deleted Account likes this.